Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Monumental Soundbyte - 6



GrandMaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message
First of all, i have to apologise for the silence on my blog. I am having issues editing my widgets and i wonder if its just me. Damn Blogger...
When i did the post on LL Cool J's - I Need Love, Nyemoni commented about the first rap verse she learnt. Well this song was mine. I remember being really young and hanging out with my siblings watching a videotape of music videos. That tape had this song and the likes of New Edition etc on it. I was enraptured by this video - Grandmaster flash looking so cool in his faded skinny jeans and quite interesting hair. The beat moved me and my baby voice would just go along with: "Dont push us 'cos we're close to the eddddddddge, m trying not to lose my head ehn ehn ehnnnn"
Oh so amazing. I truly love this song and it is generally credited as the first rap song with a message. I think this group is the first and only rap/hip-hop act to be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
Defining song, monumental song and so so hard to resist. Enjoy!
*If you would like this song, leave an email address in the comments section*

4 comments:

snazzy said...

this song was hot, though those tight jeans in the video... It is still one of the greatest rap songs of all time. It is a tragedy that when most people hear the chorus they think of Puffy & Mase. Damn you Puff!! Aiight I'm done.

soul said...

Nice one.
I had some whit edude at work say to me... oh go and find out this song... do some research and search for it.. best ever song.

i was like.. dude.. puhlease. You ain't saying nothing new here puhlease. lol.
Nice one Uzo, keep em coming.

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

This song inspired a lot of artistes men...... even P.Diddy used it much later... Rock on Uzo... keep giving us blasts from the past! Good job!

shhhh said...

men u are a true hip hop head. keep it up