Friday, December 21, 2007
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Love takes on a new meaning
If you were here
You would know what I mean to say
For the chance
I only want to love you more ... more
Girl you know how much I care
It’s not the way I planned it
If you could only know my feelings
If you were here tonight
By my side
If you were with me now
I can not pretend
This bed’s too big for me
To be in alone all alone
Slow burn light a candle for our love
So we’ll always be one to one in love
Can’t you understand it
Girl you know how much I care
It’s not the way I planned it no
If you could only know my feelings
If you were here tonight oh love
By my side
If you were with me now
For the day I won’t feel this pain baby
Please don’t keep me waiting
Come to me
If you were here tonight
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Monday, December 17, 2007
This soothing, soothing track laid forgotten in my collection until it popped up during shuffle play a few weeks ago.
This is an amazing amazing song. And its monumental - well because i like it a lot....LOL.
Maxi Priest and Roberta Flack - not a combination i would have thought of but the result is so easy on the ears.
Listen to it and i dare you not to have this on repeat a few times...
Friday, December 14, 2007
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Sunday, December 09, 2007
Things got routine
Then all of a sudden
Its excitement galore again
These waves and phases
Have me giddy and giggly
So many things to think about
So many options to weigh
All the while
Playing with fire
This is just random ish. I am in a bit of a whirlwind at the moment and cant seem to find the words to write or express how i feel about all the stuff around me. Its good stuff, not particularly heavy...just stuff....
I head back to Lagos today and i cannot say how glad i am to be going home.....
Something from the Motown era which is really one of my favorite eras ever (that statement sounds so odd....what other eras are there?).
Anyway, this hot number was released way back in 1965 and has the honor of being inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.
Green eyed Smokey Robinson sings about dealing with heartbreak behind smiles. And i can so relate. I do that all the time. I can be the life of the party, smiling and going with it all when inside i just want to cry till there are no tears left.
This is also one of those songs that i think people should never ever cover. Linda Ronstadt and Aretha Franklin lent their vocal stylings to this song and did absolutely nothing for me.
This song has some of the corniest but hottest lines...
"My smile is my makeup i wear since my breakup with you"
"Baby take a good look at my face, you'll see my smile seems out of place"
Rhyming all the way......
Saturday, December 08, 2007
Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now
I have been a fan of Joni Mitchell for many years but this is by far my favorite song of hers. I first heard it as i watched the lovely movie Love Actually and it was love at first hear.
It was first released in 1969 and again, it shows what the essence of truly great music is. Timelessness. Rolling Stone magazine ranked it number 170 on its list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.
Since a lot of the people around me dont know who Joni Mitchell is, i urge you all to listen to this song on the soundbyte widget and i leave you with the words. Its a beautiful bittersweet song soooooo..Enjoy...
Bows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way
But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down
And still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all
Moons and Junes and ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way that you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way
But now it's just another show
You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care don't let them know
Don't give yourself away
I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take and still somehow
It's love's illusions that I recall
I really don't know love at all
Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way
But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they sayI've changed
Something's lost but something's gained in living every day
I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all.
Wednesday, December 05, 2007
Marc Cohn - True Companion
I bet a lot of people havent heard of Marc Cohn. This man - ...
So a lot of people ask me how i hear about random artists. Well -i hear a song and i buy the album. Truly. If i connect with a song, then i buy the whole album regardless of if i have heard of the artist or not.
And that is how i "met" Marc Cohn. It was a few years ago and i heard a song called "Walking in Memphis" and i thought it was by Bruce Springsteen. That should give you an inkling as to what he sounds like. I did my research and voila Marc Cohn. I forgot about Marc until about 3 years ago when u stumbled on his debut cd. And i fell in love.
Actually, his self titled album is simply amazing - If you like Bruce Springsteen, or simple music with strong lyrics emoted by a strong, deep voice. Marc is best known for the Walking In Memphis song and even won a grammy award for best new artist in 1992. This amazing man was shot in the head in 1995 in an attempted robbery and was released from the hospital the next day.
But this post is not about THAT song or this man (who you can tell i really really like). Its about the last song on his self titled album called True Companion.
I will let the lyrics of this song speak for it - but if you like songs about true love and passion and soul mates and soul stirring emotions - then this is THE song. I mean - i could have my darling Luther on rotation and could break my listening pleasure to include anything by Marc - especially this song. And that is big for me cos nothing comes between me and Luther.
I cannot say enough how much i love this song. So please listen to it by pressing play on the soundbyte widget thingy and enjoy..........
Baby I've been searching like everybody else
Can't say nothing different about myself
Sometimes I'm an angel and sometimes I'm cruel
But when it comes to love I'm just another fool
Yes I've climbed a mountain
I'm gonna swim the sea
There ain't no act of God, girl
Could keep you safe from me
My arms are reaching out,out across this canyon
I'm asking you to be my true companion
So don't you dare and try to walk away
I've got my heart set on our wedding day
I've got this vision of a girl in white
Made my decision that its you alright
When I take your hand, I watch my heart set sail
I'll take my trembling fingers, and I'll lift up your veil
Then I'll take you home and with wild abandon
Make love to you just like a true companion
You are my true companion
I got a true companion
Whoa true companion
When the years have done irreparable harm
I can see us walking slowly arm in arm
Just like that couple on the corner do
Cause girl I will always be in love with you
When I look in your eyes, I still see that spark
Until the shadows fall, until the room grows dark
Then when I leave this earth
I'll be with the angels standing
I'll be out there waiting for my true companion
Just for my true companion
Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Monday, December 03, 2007
- I eat paper. Its one of those compulsive things. I dont know why it started but i have been doing it for years. Since the start of secondary school i believe. And its not sheets of paper. Just the edges of books and stuff. I thought i had stopped doing it till about 2 weeks ago when a member of my team exclaimed "are you eating paper?". Emm....yes i said. I sure am
- I dont like people very much. Which strikes many people as untrue especially if you have met me. I am talkative and laugh a lot. But its on my terms. People annoy me. They scare me sometimes. People irritate me. So this means that i can switch off in the middle of a conversation and just tune out. It means i can be incommunicado for days on end just because i dont want to talk or see anyone. It means i will take off and go to a movie/dinner by myself. I am secure in my own company and since i figure i do damn well by myself, the people i choose to have around me - are quality folks
- I am obsessive compulsive. Well in some things. For example, i am addicted to fragrances. So i have a huge collection of perfumes and body splashes. They are arranged in a particular order and i use them in that order. If the order is thrown, i feel lost. Same thing with shower gels and soaps. I alternate. Shower gel today, soap tomorrow. The order must not change. Same thing with my nail polishes and lip glosses. I have quite a number and i have a system. I have 2 storage bins for each. So i use this shade of nail polish or gloss today from bin 1, it goes into storage bin 2. And i do that - not repeating any until bin 1 is empty. This can take a few weeks. Then i start over taking stuff from bin 2, use and put in bin 1. Movies that i have accrued are arranged in a particular way and i watch them in that order. I have tons of unread books. But as i buy them and put in my bookshelf, i arrange them in order and i read them in that order.
- My laughter is weird. I laugh a lot and it runs the gamut of chuckling, squealing, cackling to even loud shrieking. I have tried to tone it down but i laugh from the inside and i just well...let it go
- I HATE pawpaw and watermelon. Apart from the taste - nasty. The texture is disgusting. But i am revolted by the inside of these fruits. The inside of pawpaw makes me itch. All those black little rough seeds. And then sometimes, they are hidden in the grooves. Yuck! Watermelons..the holes in the fruit and then the seeds....I am revolted just typing this out
- I am addicted to suya. One of the reasons i cant be a vegetarian. I love suya. I can have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can eat just suya. As long as its extra hot and there is lots of onions, i am good. I have even gone as far as buying suya spice from suya men and seasoning my own meat at home. Yup
- I play with belly button. Its cute when you are 5. But when you are as old as i am and find yourself reaching under your shirt to play with your belly button regardless of where you are - that's just plain weird.
That was fun - and even i am convinced that i am weirder than i thought. I tag Olawunmi, Daddy's Girl, Chxta, Bella Naija...Since they are not likely to do it, ...emm...
Sunday, December 02, 2007
I guess this should actually read Phenomenal Women.
During my vacation to India, we passed a bunch of people dressed in blue like the woman above. And i remember wondering why they were in blue. That's UN peace keeping standard issue.
Last night, there was a piece on the world's untold stories and Liberia was the focus of the piece. But with a different spin.
During the 14 year civil war that literally crushed this country, abuse of women in the population of about 3.2 million people stood at 93.6%. 93.6% of the women that lived in Liberia at the time of conflict were abused. 73% of this number were raped. Heart breaking statistics. Even after the war ended 3 years ago, women continued to be abused -sometimes by UN peace keepers.
With the swearing in of Africa's first female president, things have changed. She has appointed women to key positions including making the head of police a woman. She was a riot to watch yesterday. Decked out in her uniform, she said women have always been the brains behind their families, have been the secretaries and administrative assistants behind the influential people in the country - so it was time to take center stage. I loved her confidence and cockiness.
Anyway - the object of this post - the phenomenal women i speak of here are the Indian UN peacekeepers doing their thing in Liberia. As a result of all the abuse faced by women in the past, the UN took the step to have women makeup the peacekeeping mission and a number of things have happened as a result of this:
- Women soldiers working with the citizenry brings a different response - less antagonistic and machismo, More compassion and dialogue
- It builds trust among the female citizenry. So far, they are not afraid or threatened by the peacekeepers and even find them approachable
- The Liberian police force that had a hard time getting new recruits (since all of the force was fired) has had about 200% increase in the number of volunteers - mostly women
What struck me the most as well is that most of these Indian peacekeepers already had experience in conflict regions with most of them serving in the disputed region of Kashmir. Almost all these women are wives and mothers. The way they handled their weapons, their coordinated efforts...i was so psyched. During missions, they just seemed almost robotic. But in their base camp, bollywood movies in the background, laughter and almost normalcy
I cannot put into words exactly how this story made me feel but I am proud to be WOMAN
James Brown - I got the feeling
A series of this nature would not be complete without something from the godfather of soul himself. This man could funkify any song.
I love, love this song because the first time i heard it was on The Cosby Show. That memorable episode when the Huxtables were celebrating Cliff's parents anniversary. And all the Huxtable kids did something to this song. Of course i remember Theo in his little tux doing his thing and looking cute and Rudy - she stole my heart in her little purple dress - "Baby, Baby, Baby"...So so cute.
This song was released in 1968 and reached the number 1 spot on the r&b charts. It also was in the top 10 on the pop charts as well. When the Jackson 5 auditioned for Motown's Berry Gordy, this is the song they chose with Michael Jackson closely mimicking James Brown's moves here.
Hot song guaranteed to get you moving. Happy Monday.........