Monday, May 14, 2007

It all started over...........


A ring tone.
This weekend had a little bit of drama.

My girl has been seeing this guy and we all assumed they were a couple. Anyway, we are all hanging out on saturday at a bar and having huge laughs. My girl had talked to her man earlier on in the day so his number was the last one she dialled. For some insane reason, her phone dialled the last number (his). And that's when the S**T hit the fan. All these modern phones allow you to use songs as specific ring tones.
We are sitting there when his phone begins to vibrate to the "sweet" sounds of Destiny's Child - Bug a boo. We all laugh and my girl says something about him being so mean and how he could set that as a ringtone for anyone. She grabbed his one off the table to see for herself who it was that had been assigned this special ring tone. It all happened so quickly and my girl just grabbed the phone expecting to see "plumber" or something. Instead, she saw her name.
It got well ugly at that point. Her man was thoroughly taken aback. The shouting started with us onlookers trying very hard to stare anywhere else but at the 2 of them or at the phone. My girl dials his number again to be sure and sure enough "you're a bug a boo, a bug a boo" came on. His explanation: well there were a couple. At first he said there had to be a mistake - he actually picked up his phone and started turning it around and looking at it in stupefaction. Then he said he had forgotten that someone (who?) was playing with his phone and must have done it. Eventually, he admitted that when they first met, my girl used to emmm, well be a little over enthusiastic and he assigned that tone to her THEN, but its not the same now. "You know i feel about you babe".
I made my exit at that point. But it got me thinking about technology and ringtones. I used to have a crush on this guy and i assigned Ray J's One Wish to him. And everytime my phone rang, i would smile. That was until a friend of mine met him and the first thing she said "Oh. You are Mr One Wish". Ehn, it took some clever verbal maneuvering to rescue that situation.
I hear phones go off around me and i hear tones like "Baby", "African Queen" and even that one that says "An idiot is calling" in a really stilted british accent. So i started wondering: what ring tone has been assigned to me? LOL
Damn technology to hell!

16 comments:

Simply Gorgeous said...

I am still trying to come up with a specifc ring tone. These things blow my mind with that and electronics...

Azuka said...

Poor guy.

Bella Naija said...

hahahahaahhaahha
That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!
Dammmnn, your friend's ego must really be bruised...
Well, they are a couple now right? so its all good tho I still have my suspicions about the dude....y didnt he change it once he started feeling her?
I'm sure his friends know her as Miss Bug a boooo....ouch!

Kafo said...

u r reading my book
u will LOVE this book
and then u will pick up the other two in the series
actually i suggest you already get the second one before u finish the first because it leaves u hanging
francine rivers is the bomb.

i kinda feeling sorry for ur friend cuz i sorta phone-stalked this guy that i liked a while back
hmmmm. i wonder what my ringtone is now

Uzo said...

@SG: LOL...What ever happened to the good old days of a simple ringing sound?

@Azuka: Poor guy?

@Bella: They are a couple now. Maybe it never occurred to him mto change the tone....?

@Kafo: I actually bought all 3 books in the series so i dont have to run around looking for the others....Its good so far...

Daddy's Girl said...

LOL! The word that comes to mind is 'yeepa'! That's pretty funny.

soul said...

If I were the girl.. once I had confirmed that it was my ringtone.

I would laugh and smile, go over to him..
out my arms around him and kiss him really softly, then I'd whisper in his ear.. don't worry honey I won't bug you again...
I'd draw back and give him a huge smile :D

And that for me, is the end of our relationship.
No discussions, no nothing. There's no point.

9jamommy said...

Lol...that's crazy, I can just imagine him trying to get out of that, how uncomfortable.....he's not a real player men, I know many men that will never admit they set that..lol

Well maybe he just likes the song without actually paying attention to the words..lol

Olawunmi said...

bug-a-boo!!! lol. i don laff die.

i use neutral ringtones o, no point getting caught out by some dumb piece of kit. lol

bug-a-boo. are they still together?

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

LOL!!! My God, this is some crazy stuff! heheheheh for real... I have no words to describe this one... I hope they have sortrd out their ringtones? :-P

SET said...

AWWW, sad that he did that to your friend. AND WITH YOU AND ;ONE WISH; LOL. That is funny. I saw a talk show where guys who only send text messages to girls, said that they prefer not talkin to these chicks so they prefer to chat and text referring to such girls as text buddies. hmmm can u imagine that mess.

Anonymous said...

lol...LMAO.....BWWUUUAAHHHHHAAAA!
lol......sorry, that mean...i shuldnt laff...LMAO...but its tew funny...
e ya..i feel for your friend oh...emm, but can u pls advise her boo to turn his ringer off next time he's in a social setting???..thats what vibrate is for my dear....

Unknown said...

I feel sorry for your friend but the situation is very funny! Lol, I wonder what ring tones I'd assign to people and what ring tones have been assigned to me! Lol

Unknown said...

Lol!Hilarious.

Anonymous said...

So this is a very lol story...to eliminate the confusion and embarrassment, everyone gets the same ringtone on my phone. We can hardly handle what people think about us.

Noni Moss said...

Lollllllllllll - that is funny. I would have died! Yeah - i dont assign ringtones to people for a good reason (ok mainly due to laziness but this is as good a reason).