- This song won 2 grammys in 1983 or 1984. One for record of the year and the second for male vocal performance of the year
- The song features a guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen. He is rumoured to have nailed this in one take. Actually not a rumour.
- Van Halen recorded his part while Jackson was in another nearby studio recording overdubs on "Billie Jean". According to one story, a technician who was unaware Van Halen was beginning a take knocked on the studio door, entered and quickly closed it when he realized his error. Afterwards, it was jointly decided to leave this mistake in; the knock on the door is clearly audible just prior to the launch of Van Halen's guitar solo.
- The video - with the rival dancing gangs. There are a few famous faces in there (well they werent famous then) - Stoney Jackson and Michael DeLorenzo (of NY Undercover with Malik Yoba)
- The multi-zippered red jacket worn by Jackson throughout the video would become iconic in its own right, and children and teenagers across the country of all races sported copies of the design
Let me stop there since this song like most Michael Jackson songs has effects on so many artists and other genres.
This song is all about avoiding violence at all costs....But i am sure you all know that...