Thursday, August 09, 2007

Monumental Soundbyte - 47

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

Something different. I heard this song immediately it came out since i was living in England at the time. The very first thing that struck me was the fact that it was familiar. Something about the music was familiar. Then i recognized that the musical foundation for this song is actually a Rolling Stones number called The Last Time.

Anyway, the lyrics are all original and written by the frontman of the band - Richard Ashcroft. This song was the IT song for this group and they split up soon after.

I love this song for many reasons: its a complex song. There is the Rolling Stones backdrop, then the unmistakeable orchestral feel, the languid delivery of the vocals, the video...amazing. I remember the video being predominantly black and blue. With Richard Ashcroft walking and singing in real time. Amazing. I say this quite a lot but i truly belive that the most amazing musical things are born out of simplicity. So while the song is incredibly multi-faceted, the simplicity of the video sealed the deal for me.

A lot of controversy surrounding this song because of the sample and a lawsuit. But it did very well on the charts and was ranked on Rolling Stone's list of the greatest songs ever....

Enjoy! You can press play on the player under the soundbyte to hear this song....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get chills listening to the intro build to the first verse. The video is among the very best. Who'd of thought that the boney guy with the attitude could walk through so many people and get away with it. This song, along with the other hit songs by the big Brit Pop bands (Oasis and Blur), remind me so much of London . . . oh, how I wish I was still living there.

Unknown said...

I love this song ... it's absolutely beautiful! I also loved 'The drugs don't work'.

soul said...

ohhhhhh
THe opening of this song was amazing.. I like the strings.. I still play it when I'm in a melancholy mood.