Sunday, December 09, 2007

Monumental Soundbyte - 85

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Tracks of My Tears

Something from the Motown era which is really one of my favorite eras ever (that statement sounds so odd....what other eras are there?).

Anyway, this hot number was released way back in 1965 and has the honor of being inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Green eyed Smokey Robinson sings about dealing with heartbreak behind smiles. And i can so relate. I do that all the time. I can be the life of the party, smiling and going with it all when inside i just want to cry till there are no tears left.

This is also one of those songs that i think people should never ever cover. Linda Ronstadt and Aretha Franklin lent their vocal stylings to this song and did absolutely nothing for me.

This song has some of the corniest but hottest lines...

"My smile is my makeup i wear since my breakup with you"
"Baby take a good look at my face, you'll see my smile seems out of place"

Rhyming all the way......

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere that Bob Dylan described Smokey Robinson as America's greatest living poet.