Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Monumental Soundbyte - 83


Marc Cohn - True Companion

I bet a lot of people havent heard of Marc Cohn. This man - ...

So a lot of people ask me how i hear about random artists. Well -i hear a song and i buy the album. Truly. If i connect with a song, then i buy the whole album regardless of if i have heard of the artist or not.

And that is how i "met" Marc Cohn. It was a few years ago and i heard a song called "Walking in Memphis" and i thought it was by Bruce Springsteen. That should give you an inkling as to what he sounds like. I did my research and voila Marc Cohn. I forgot about Marc until about 3 years ago when u stumbled on his debut cd. And i fell in love.

Actually, his self titled album is simply amazing - If you like Bruce Springsteen, or simple music with strong lyrics emoted by a strong, deep voice. Marc is best known for the Walking In Memphis song and even won a grammy award for best new artist in 1992. This amazing man was shot in the head in 1995 in an attempted robbery and was released from the hospital the next day.

But this post is not about THAT song or this man (who you can tell i really really like). Its about the last song on his self titled album called True Companion.

I will let the lyrics of this song speak for it - but if you like songs about true love and passion and soul mates and soul stirring emotions - then this is THE song. I mean - i could have my darling Luther on rotation and could break my listening pleasure to include anything by Marc - especially this song. And that is big for me cos nothing comes between me and Luther.

I cannot say enough how much i love this song. So please listen to it by pressing play on the soundbyte widget thingy and enjoy..........

Baby I've been searching like everybody else
Can't say nothing different about myself
Sometimes I'm an angel and sometimes I'm cruel
But when it comes to love I'm just another fool

Yes I've climbed a mountain
I'm gonna swim the sea
There ain't no act of God, girl
Could keep you safe from me
My arms are reaching out,out across this canyon

I'm asking you to be my true companion
True companion
True companion

So don't you dare and try to walk away
I've got my heart set on our wedding day
I've got this vision of a girl in white
Made my decision that its you alright
When I take your hand, I watch my heart set sail
I'll take my trembling fingers, and I'll lift up your veil
Then I'll take you home and with wild abandon
Make love to you just like a true companion

You are my true companion
I got a true companion
Whoa true companion

When the years have done irreparable harm
I can see us walking slowly arm in arm
Just like that couple on the corner do
Cause girl I will always be in love with you
When I look in your eyes, I still see that spark
Until the shadows fall, until the room grows dark

Then when I leave this earth
I'll be with the angels standing
I'll be out there waiting for my true companion
Just for my true companion
True companion
True companion

2 comments:

Sherri said...

wow!
i love that song!
isn't his voice so unique and soul stiring?

Zoe Believer said...

This is beautiful. I think I'm going to print the lyrics and put on the wall. Thank you