Saturday, December 08, 2007

Monumental Soundbyte - 84


Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now

I have been a fan of Joni Mitchell for many years but this is by far my favorite song of hers. I first heard it as i watched the lovely movie Love Actually and it was love at first hear.

It was first released in 1969 and again, it shows what the essence of truly great music is. Timelessness. Rolling Stone magazine ranked it number 170 on its list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.

Since a lot of the people around me dont know who Joni Mitchell is, i urge you all to listen to this song on the soundbyte widget and i leave you with the words. Its a beautiful bittersweet song soooooo..Enjoy...

Bows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down
And still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way that you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way

But now it's just another show
You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care don't let them know
Don't give yourself away

I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take and still somehow
It's love's illusions that I recall
I really don't know love at all

Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way
But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they sayI've changed
Something's lost but something's gained in living every day

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Uzo, I just have to. This is Joni's original version, the one that cracked the Rolling Stone top 500 songs. It is quite a departure from her 2000 remake more than 30 years later, by which time age and smoking had already grounded her butterfly voice.

Olawunmi said...

i love joni mitchell (but you knew that already).

lol at patrice.

i was wondering when you were going to come round to my brooding singer-songwriters. thanks babe