Monday, January 28, 2008

He Sang, She Sang - 7




Save The Last Dance For Me
Everyone i know loves this song......
It was first recorded by Ben E King & The Drifters in 1960. This version went to number one in the US.
Its a pretty simple song that tells a story of a lover telling his companion to have fun throughout the evening but to make sure she leaves one last dance for him. The song was written by Doc Pomus and some other guy. Now it is speculated that this song is intensely personal to Doc Pomus. He had polio and used crutches and his wife was a very vivacious broadway actress and dancer.
This song has been recorded by a number of artists including Ike & Tina Turner, EmmyLou Harris, The Beatles, Harry Nilsson etc.
The 2 cover versions i have included are by Michael Buble and Dolly Parton.
Michael Buble recorded his version in 2006 and it did relatively well on the charts and introduced a lot of young people to this song.
Dolly Parton recorded her version in 1984 and it entered the top 10 on the US country charts.
So which version do you prefer?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that I've heard any of them, so can't really say much.. just wanted to say hi, though. :-)

Gbemi's Piece said...

I knew without listening to Dolly's version that I would prefer Michael Buble's cover. Not that I'm such a huge fan of Michael Buble - I think he tries too hard. He's like mini Harry Connick Jr. After listening to both, I prefer Michael Buble's version.

Afrobabe said...

Doly parton's version is the best...just love it...

Mamarita said...

I prefer Michael Buble's version, something about it, I can't explain. I guess I heard his first. Like Summertime, you hear a singer's version and all other versions suddenly suck :)

Chxta said...

O so dreamy...

So darling, save the last dance for me. I have always loved the Drifter's version.

Edirin said...

i havent heard of any of them b4, i prefer the drifters version,. sounds better to me..

Anonymous said...

Michael Buble' sings with such passion, that his version is always going to have far more personality. He never will be a mini anybody - he is larger than life. His musicality is so superior to the average artist. See him live, in concert, just once, and you will agree with most other entertainers - he is the best. A humble and friendly guy, he endears himself to his millions of fans around the world, who cannot get enough of his velvet vocals.

ababoypart2 said...

Save The Last Dance For Me - Classic.
Loving your work, loving you musical taste

Anonymous said...

All very different. I prefer The Drifter's., but I also enjoyed Michael Bublé's rendition, even if it does sound alot like a cha-cha, and Dolly Parton's 'Save The Flashdance For Me' version.

Jennifer A. said...

*sigh* I'm such a Michael Buble fan, u don't even understand!

Anonymous said...

i like michael buble's, but i also like the original. michael buble brought it to my consciousness - prior to his version it was a soundtrack song and not alot more