Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Monumental Soundbyte - 76



Etta James - At Last

Can you believe this song was released by Etta James in 1961? I guess this song can be called timeless since it really is still so fresh now. Most people will have heard this song at a wedding or 2 and it is relevant because the words and the orchestration are perfect. The beauty of this song is in its lyrics which are below and Etta's delivery. You can separate the women from the girls, the boys from the men vocally simply by listening to delivery. Etta does not ad lib, there is no affectation. She buries herself in the meaning and intent of the song and it comes through...
Enjoy.....

At last
My love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song

At last
The skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clovers
The night I looked at you

I found a dream
That I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to press my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known

You smiled, you smiled
Oh and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
For you are mine
At Last

4 comments:

Daddy's Girl said...

Definitely monumental. The most fabulous thing about this song for me is the vocal arrangement - the song requires a singer with great range - it's just not for any ordinary voice - like you said it seperates the men from the boys. And the lyrics are exquisite in their simplicity and power. Etta did it justice.

Anonymous said...

Me and my hubby danced to at last(Celine's, cos she sings it so beautifully) as our wedding song...which made some people go huh?

Gbemi's Piece said...

I love this song! The original, no doubt!

Anonymous said...

Almost every artist whos an artist has recorded some version of this song... i have too many faves to list.. its wonderful... just might be played at my wedding after awilo.. lol