Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Monumental Soundbyte - 70

Kate Bush - This Woman's Work

The first time i heard this song was the ever popular Maxwell version and i fell in love with this song. Hard. Then a few weeks ago, Soul credited this song to Kate Bush and i got curious and apparently she indeed is the original singer. So my interest was roused. I am familiar with Kate Bush - but not really. I like her Wuthering Heights but i can not believe the fact that she did this song first passed me by.

I hunted down a live version of Maxwell performing this song - and would you believe it - he mentions Kate before he launches into this song.

Anyway, i forgot about this until 2 days ago. I am watching Alias Season 1 (very good show by the way....how on earth didnt i follow it while it was on?) and Kate Bush's version came on and i was just hooked. If it is possible, i have fallen in love with song even more.

Kate Bush is one those very very different (eclectic, weird...) singer/songwriters. Her sound is not likely to be loved by all but she has a few gems.

Anyway, this song is about a woman feeling her way through adulthood/womanhood in hard times. That's my take anyway.

So enjoy!!!!!



2 comments:

naijabelle said...

i love that song too!
mAXWELL'S cover of the song is just so beautiful especially that stage performance gives me goosebumps all the time. Funny enuff, never listened to th original and dont think i want to

shhhh said...

yep....u should have asked me, lol. maxwell really did well though. really. kate is left of field